beacon site | contact | (866) 488-3620
Tiffany May

Free Social Media Vector Icon Set (including pinterest and google plus!)

First I would like to say I am a Web Developer here at Beacon so Design is not my specialty. However, I’ve gradually been getting annoyed by the round corners that are on most social icons. I think there is always the ‘too much’ factor and for me I’ve been given too much round icons. So the only thing that looks fresh and appealing to me anymore is square. I’ve looked at other free icon sets out there and still have yet to find a basic and simple square set. So I decided to give it a shot :).

All these icons are vectors I created within Adobe Fireworks CS4. For most of these I used the method mentioned in this post (http://trentrichardson.com/2009/04/11/convert-bitmaps-to-vectors-in-fireworks/) and others I copied the company provided vector into fireworks and modified from there. Feel free to download and do what you’d like with them. I have them all within one file for ease of creating/posting but again each is its own vector so you can copy it into another document or slice them out from the file.

Download Here

• Foursquare
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • Meetup

7 Comments

1. Posted May 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

The download link is just to a PNG file… not a vector file.

2. Posted May 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

If you open the file with Fireworks and hover over each icon you will see that they are vector paths. I’m not too clear about the details since I am still learning about vectors but from what I understand as long as you do not flatten the PNG on save it will retain its paths. I think Adobe Fireworks CS6 saves with an added extension for clarity but the file still opened correctly with CS6 as it is.

3. Posted May 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Wow! I so rarely use Fireworks that I didn’t even realize that it saved the vector data. I am truly humbled. Downloaded and opened the file and there they were… all the layers and outlines. Ooh rah!

I’ve always used Illustrator for vector formats. Had an instructor tell us last year that FW optimized files better than Photoshop too, so I certainly need to dig in and learn more about it.

Thanks for the quick response.

BTW, if you want more hits on this page be sure to mention pinterest and google plus in your page title. Very few icon sets include them, most of the sets online are from a couple years ago.

4. Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Yes the tools for design are definitely an ongoing debate among the Web Design field. In my opinion I prefer Illustrator and have always thought Photoshop is for photos but its hard to fight that battle when so many in our industry use Photoshop for web design.

Looking into that is what got me back to Fireworks given it is the tool Adobe made for the job. I am learning all that Fireworks CS6 is capable of and am very impressed so far.

Thank you for the page title tips I like knowing that I am giving people what they can’t find elsewhere. Also if you think of any other icons you can’t find in other icon sets let me know and I will add them.

5. Kayvon
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

How about a yelp icon? No vector icon sets ever have Yelp.

6. Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I’ve been trying to find simple icons, especially Pinterest FOREVER! Lovely Job and thanks so much!

7. Posted December 11, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Definitely agree with Valerie at post 3. You index pretty high with the search term “free social media icon pack with pinterest”.

That’s how I found you, anyway.

Thanks for the pack!